Re: Newbie Install Questions

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 07:16:45PM -0700, Dale Morris wrote:
> I've used Linux (Redhat) for about 6 months and have just installed
> potato via ftp. I have some newbie questions I would appreciate some
> help with:

Please set your mailer and/or editor to wrap lines at 72 characters.

> 1.) If I download a file from the net, where does it go? Which
> directory, as netscape seems to automatically determine the target.

Depends on the method.  If you download through Netscape, file defaults
to the directory you've started Netscape in.  If you launch Netscape
from a windowmanager or desktop menu, this is usually your home
directory.   You can change this default in the download dialog.

Using command-line tools (eg:  ftp, wget), you can specify DL directory
with the command.

> 2.) Where's the *best* newbie info for installing my Yamaha opl3a
> sound card?

I'd start with Deja and the HOWTOs.

> 3.) What do I do to get printing? I installed lpr module in the kernel
> and installed aps filter, but when trying to print a test page,
> nothing happened. Again, any good sources for printer config info?

You can install the RedHat printtool configurator, which tends to be
pretty good at working things out.

   apt-get install printtool