Re: HELP! 2.1 install from PCMCIA cdrom

On Fri, Jul 28, 2000 at 09:56, Jim Gale wrote:
> I didn't have any luck finding this topic in the archive, but I'm sure
> it's come up before...
>
> I'm being tortured by a Sony Vaio laptop which does not have a built in
> CDROM. Instead it has a PCMCIA connected CDROM drive. Happily the laptop
> is able to boot from the CDROM, so I just stuck my 2.1 CD in and tried
> to install Debian. It boots and I can fix up the harddrive, but
> unfortunately I can't install the operating system because Debian can't
> find the CDROM. (even though it booted from it!)
>
> Could somebody tell me how I can install Debian on this thing? (I'm
> installing 2.1 because I have CDs for it but I plan to upgrade to 2.2
> immediately, so let me know if this could be done better starting with
> 2.2)
>
> I found a little bit in the HOWTO documents about installing from a
> PCMCIA device, but it didn't look pretty. I thought I'd check to see if
> there was a proper Debian way to do it.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim
>
> To help narrow down the possibilities, here are my other resources:
>
> a computer with debian 2.2 (but no net access, if I need to download
> something, it could be tricky)
> a Sun with net access (but Solaris)
> a PCMCIA NIC for the laptop (NFS boot?)
> I can't burn CDROMs
> I have plenty of floppies around if that's what I have to do.

If you have another OS on this laptop, windows perhaps, that can see the
cd-rom, then you can install the base system from floppies (around 10
for slink, if memory serves). I believe you'll find the images under --
wait, let me check, I just happen to have a very old slink CD -- let me
stick it in the drive on this windows machine (ssh'ed to my debian box
at home) . . .

How about ../dists/slink/main/disks-i386/current/

You'll need rawrite2.exe from ../tools/rawrite2/ to create the floppies
under windows.

Once you get the base system up, you can use your PCMCIA NIC to finish
the install.

Although it's really old now, dating from the days of hamm, there's a
step-by-step page at the URL in my sig, that even mentions laptop
gotchas.

Luck,
Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\