Re: Can't get WordPerfect installed

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 09:59:43AM +0800, Cam Ellison wrote:
> I have the downloaded version of WP 8.  After untar-ing the files (tar
> -zxf **), I get what I assume to be the usual set of directories and
> files.
>
> However, when I start Runme, it first asks whether I have unzipped and
> untar-ed.  A response of "Y" gets an error message  ("No files to
> install", or something similar).  When I respond "N", it tells me to
> read the Readme file.
>
> I get this whether I run it as user or as su.  I am trying to run this
> from an xterm.
>
> I assume that there is some environment thing I have wrong.  When I
> installed the language module, it ran fine, but complained that it
> could not find libXaw.4.so (I think that was it), so it ran the text
> version, and installed everything.  Do I assume correctly that I should
> add that to my PATH?  It certainly exists on the system (in
> subdirectories of /X11R6 and /etc).
>
> I need help -- this is driving me crazy.

What version of WP is this?  IIRC, there was a version which had an
installer bug, though I thought it was an older release which should now
be replaced.  You may be able to search Deja (though it's now restricted
to ~12 months of archives and may miss the issue) or at Corel's own
support site.

The problem was one of either casing (upper or lower, don't recall) of
extracted or pre-extract filenames, or location of the tar files WRT the
installer.  IIRC, the installer *needs* to see the tarfiles (cased
appropriately), even though it's not doing anything with them.

Good luck.