Re: Command Line on logout

On Tue, Jul 25, 2000 at 03:41:04PM +0200, J.T. Wenting wrote:
> remove the reference to XDM in the startup scripts, deinstall XDM, or remove
> the symlinks to XDM in /etc/rcX.d directories (this just prevents it from
> starting, does not remove it).
> XDM can be a pain. At one point X setup crashed halfway through, leaving a
> corrupted setup file. Next boot, XDM sees a setup file, starts X, blank
> screen. Ctrl-Alt-BS, X closes, XDM sees X is down, XDM starts X, eternal
> loop (at the time the machine had no network card, so using telnet to kill
> XDM was not possible...).

A more elegant (IMO) solution is to modify /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.  This
allows you to specify where you do or don't want your X sessions coming
from.  Commenting out the line for display :0 should stop xdm (and other
display managers) from launching a display screen, but it *does* allow
you to use XDM to connect to the box from a remote X session.

> J.T. Wenting
> jwenting@hornet.demon.nl
>
> Murphy was wrong, things that can't go wrong will anyway
>
> P.S. While we're talking about screens, how to turn of screenblanking in
> text-mode?

    man setterm

For the equivalent under X Windows:

    man xset