Re: Another ethernet configuration problem

> Hi,
>
> After having solved one problem with configuring an ethernet
> card on one computer (thanks to the response to an earlier email
> like this one!), I now have a problem with a different ethernet card
> on another computer!
>
> The info I have on the card is as follows:
>
> 3Com905C Etherlink 10/100 PCI (-TX)
>
> Also, I've installed Debian 2.1.
                       ^^^^^^^^^^

> From what I can tell, the problem is that I'm lacking the
> proper driver in the directory /lib/modules/2.0.36/net (?).
> There is a module called 3c59x.o (?) which I thought should
> work, but which doesn't seems to.

It should; if you were using a newer kernel the ethernet card will work
just fine.

In other words, the Linux software on your computer is too old to work
with some of the hardware in your computer.

If you install the latest kernel-image-2.2.x from what is currently known
as 'frozen' (what will become Debian 2.2 - hopefully within the next
month) you'll have much better luck.

> I would appreciate any help on this matter very much!
>
> After searching on the web, I understand that a 3c90x driver does
> exist, so I suspect, it's simply a matter of downloading the driver,
> putting it in this directory, and then loading it up, etc.

I'm not aware of a 3c90x driver - is that the one from 3com's website?

> Problem (trivial, I'm sure): how do I  download the driver when
> I don't yet have a connection to the internet? I could download
> it when I'm using Windows 98, but then how do I then get it
> from one disk partition to the other? Anyway, I think you can
> see what I'm getting at.

Floppy.  Zip disk.  Debian should also be able to read the Win98 partition
just fine.

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien