Re: How stable is WINE?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 12:48:32PM +1000, Frank Copeland wrote:

> wine has a long way to go before it provides a general replacement for
> windows, but frankly that doesn't bother me one bit since I won't be using
> it for that. Even so wine does two things that make it extremely useful
> right now. One is that it allows people like Corel to port their
> applications written for the windows API to linux without too much pain. In
> fact much of the recent improvement in wine can be attributed to Corel.

This is IMO the main function of WINE -- it's essentially a kit for
porting Windows software to Linux, for certain values of Windows
software.  This is similar to the verso of Unix compatibility kits for
Windows.  Distinction being that the POSIX API is a well-documented and
modularized standard, while the Win32 API is an undocumented,
proprietary, tangled mess.