Re: staroffice

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 11:05:11AM +0000, Richard  Taylor wrote:
> Nick Croft <nicko@acay.com.au> wrote regarding Re: staroffice:

> > It may be the only use for SO, take a Word .doc and turn it into
> something
> > Unix or universal like html.
>
> > How fast does a computer need to be? I thought 133mh was slow. Put it on
> > 333mh box today and it's no faster. Even at 600+ it would be slow if
> > processor is the clue to speed.
>
>  500 mhz works fairly well. Memory seems to be really important. I
> started getting good performance at around 128 megs. {linux and win}
> Admitted... the program's no speed demon and startups are slow as hell...
> I does run pretty nicely once it is started. This package is as capable
> as you make it... which makes it as good as anything on the market in my
> book. Nothing that's geared to working in HTML with all its attendant
> capabilities and is as well implemented and well organized as Star Office
> is should be written off as a format converter.

From the O'Reilly conference, there are really *three* significant
aspects to the SO announcement:

 o Release under GPL.
 o Dual licensing -- I expect to see this become a more common practice.
 o Splitting up the applications.

The last should address performance issues with SOffice -- I saw a demo
at the show running IIRC on a Sparcstation, but roughly equivalent to a
200 - 300 MHz Intel system.  I asked what the hardware was because
response was significantly snappier than I'm familiar with.  Turns out
that pulling the integrated desktop out of the app reduces overhead.

>  I don't need anything else {tho some sort of dict program would be nice
> but... that's available through an HTML interface anyway} for office,
> mail, HTML, database, etc, etc functions. Many people could get by with
> this program alone. {which would make that startup problem a bit less of
> an issue.}

I believe that plug-ins for optional dictionaries (eg:  spell/ispell)
will be provided.  Don't hold me to that.