Re: staroffice

Nick Croft <nicko@acay.com.au> wrote regarding Re: staroffice:
> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, David Teague wrote:
> > On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >
> > > StarOffice is a bloated stuck pig.  It handles MS file formats fairly
> > > well though.

> It may be the only use for SO, take a Word .doc and turn it into
something
> Unix or universal like html.

> How fast does a computer need to be? I thought 133mh was slow. Put it on
> 333mh box today and it's no faster. Even at 600+ it would be slow if
> processor is the clue to speed.

 500 mhz works fairly well. Memory seems to be really important. I
started getting good performance at around 128 megs. {linux and win}
Admitted... the program's no speed demon and startups are slow as hell...
I does run pretty nicely once it is started. This package is as capable
as you make it... which makes it as good as anything on the market in my
book. Nothing that's geared to working in HTML with all its attendant
capabilities and is as well implemented and well organized as Star Office
is should be written off as a format converter.

 I don't need anything else {tho some sort of dict program would be nice
but... that's available through an HTML interface anyway} for office,
mail, HTML, database, etc, etc functions. Many people could get by with
this program alone. {which would make that startup problem a bit less of
an issue.}

 This is, durn near, the perfect office interface. {whatever that means.}