Re: staroffice

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Nick Croft wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, David Teague wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> >

> > > StarOffice is a bloated stuck pig.  It handles MS file formats fairly
> > > well though.
>
> It may be the only use for SO, take a Word .doc and turn it into something
> Unix or universal like html.
>
> How fast does a computer need to be? I thought 133mh was slow. Put it on a
> 333mh box today and it's no faster. Even at 600+ it would be slow if
> processor is the clue to speed.

Nick

I think speed here just might be a function of amount of memory. SO
is a memory hog.

I have an AMD 350 on a 100 MHZ mother board with 128 MB RAM and 128
MB swap, with fairly fast (about 6ms) ide hd (but DMA not enabled),
running Potato and SO 5.1, My window manager is FVWM2.

SO is slow starting, but no slower doing any task than Word 97 and
Win 98 on the same machine.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)