Re: /bin/kill : Where art thou?

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Eric G . Miller wrote:

> I seemed to have lost /bin/kill.  Now, I have /usr/bin/kill, but "poff"
> (and possibily others) are looking for /bin/kill.  I fixed poff, but I
> don't know what else might get broken due to the disappearance of
> /bin/kill.  Anyway, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the
> "movement" of kill?  I'd think I'd still want a /bin/kill in case /usr
> isn't mounted.  The culprit seems to be "bsdutils", but I'm not sure.
>
> Ciao,

As a matter of fact in newer bash-es (I'm not sure since which
version) kill is a shell-built-in command, i. e. there is no separate
executable for kill (in neither /bin/kill, nor /usr/bin/kill). Of course
you can "ln -s /usr/bin/kill to /bin/", or write a script like:

#!/bin/sh
kill $@

and put it in /usr/bin; however, all new packages should be aware of the
in-building of the command and not use explicit paths (like "/bin/kill").

Hope this is delightful,
Pavel