Re: stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 08:38:20PM -0400, mhf wrote:
> Hello debian-user,
>
> Issue 1:  I can't figure out how to stop default windows manager
> ((fvwm)) from automatically starting upon boot into linux.  I simply
> want to start from a shell and then enter "startx" when I want to get
> into a GUI.  I've tried to open up "inittab" to see about changing a
> "5" to a "3" somewhere amidst all the command lines---((thought I read that
> from another post)) but I can't figure it out.  There  are many
> command lines in there and I don't know what they do, or refer to.

Read ``man update-rc.d''.

Then do a ``cd /etc/init.d'', ``update-rc.d -f xdm remove'' (or use gdm
instead of xdm if it is gdm you use for graphical login).

You could also use ``dpkg -r xdm'' (or gdm), if you want to uninstall
the program entirely, not just stop it starting up.

HTH
HAND
		Morten

--