stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

Hello debian-user,

Issue 1:  I can't figure out how to stop default windows manager
((fvwm)) from automatically starting upon boot into linux.  I simply
want to start from a shell and then enter "startx" when I want to get
into a GUI.  I've tried to open up "inittab" to see about changing a
"5" to a "3" somewhere amidst all the command lines---((thought I read that
from another post)) but I can't figure it out.  There  are many
command lines in there and I don't know what they do, or refer to.

If it would be helpful to see my inittab file, I'll post it.  Just
didn't want to irritate folks with an inordinately long post.

Issue 2:  I can't get the Gnome Graphical File Manager placed onto the
startup bar.  It's the strangest thing.  I go to the Gnome Menu Editor
and there it is.  Properties has it titled as "File Manager," the
description line says it is  "Graphical File Manager," and the
application command line is filled in as "gmc."  It even has an icon
properly asssociated to it.  Nonetheless, I can't get the thing placed
onto the Gnome startup bar so that I can use it.  Help, I'm totally
stumped!

Issue 3:  Can anyone suggest a good link to get me started in
configuring my Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 820C to print on my stand-alone
computer.  Or, if there's good documentation that comes with the
Debian 2.1 Slink installation that I haven't been able to locate,
please point me there.

Thank you for your time and patience.

Mike

--