Re: stop X autobooting & gnome file manager trick?

mhf wrote:
> Hello debian-user,
>
> Issue 1:  I can't figure out how to stop default windows manager
> ((fvwm)) from automatically starting upon boot into linux.  I simply
> want to start from a shell and then enter "startx" when I want to get
> into a GUI.  I've tried to open up "inittab" to see about changing a
> "5" to a "3" somewhere amidst all the command lines---((thought I read that
> from another post)) but I can't figure it out.  There  are many
> command lines in there and I don't know what they do, or refer to.
>
> If it would be helpful to see my inittab file, I'll post it.  Just
> didn't want to irritate folks with an inordinately long post.

apt-get --purge remove gdm

> Issue 2:  I can't get the Gnome Graphical File Manager placed onto the
> startup bar.  It's the strangest thing.  I go to the Gnome Menu Editor
> and there it is.  Properties has it titled as "File Manager," the
> description line says it is  "Graphical File Manager," and the
> application command line is filled in as "gmc."  It even has an icon
> properly asssociated to it.  Nonetheless, I can't get the thing placed
> onto the Gnome startup bar so that I can use it.  Help, I'm totally
> stumped!

Startup bar?  Not sure what you mean by that.  If you are referring to the
Gnome Panel (the long thingy along the bottom of the screen), then:
1) Right-click on the Panel
2) Find the app you want in the menus
3) There should be a little box with three periods in it after the name of
the app
4) Click that box
5) Click the option of "Add this launcher to panel"

> Issue 3:  Can anyone suggest a good link to get me started in
> configuring my Hewlett-Packard Deskjet 820C to print on my stand-alone
> computer.  Or, if there's good documentation that comes with the
> Debian 2.1 Slink installation that I haven't been able to locate,
> please point me there.

Start with:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=61568
Beyond that, I'll have to pass.  Printing isn't something I know a whole lot
about.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.