Re: Getting apache, PHP3, and PostgreSQL working together.

On Tue, Jul 18, 2000 at 05:31:15AM +0200, Remco Rijnders wrote:

> So now with the cause pinned down, what can I do to fix this? I'd like
> to run potato on this machine but really need version 7.* of
> postgreSQL because of the foreign key support. Would upgrading just
> the php3-pgsql package work, or would I then also need to upgrade
> apache and all other things?

The PHP3 packages from woody seem to work fine.  If you upgrade them,
though, you'll get an upgraded apache, too.  And apache-ssl from woody
conflicts with ssh, so if you need ssh, you can't have apache-ssl for now.

You could compile the potato version of PHP against postgres 7.  That's what
I did.  Just add a sources line to your sources.list.

> Last question... If this is a known incompatibilty, shouldn't the
> debian packaging mechanism prevent me from making oopsies like this by
> pointing out the dependencies to me?

I don't know.  I do know that you can install the php3-pgsql package without
having PostgreSQL installed, so apparently there is no dependency.

--
Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library