Re: PLEASE FORWARD THIS E-MAIL TO THE VP-CUSTOMER SERVICE

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 07:47:47PM -0500, Pat Mahoney wrote:
> I was under the impression that one could advertise on the list for a
> donation (I forgot the exact price, something like $1000 American).

And you think the spammers are paying that?

> I hope debian doesn't lose money by me saying this, but if someone
> does advertise, paying or not, all subscribers could add the address
> to procmail or whatever and send it to /dev/null.  Any further ads
> would then be useless.

Not likely.  Very few pay the posted rates.  (Loki did, as I recall,
a few months ago... can't recall anyone else that has paid, and I
thought Loki was cool enough for that I mailed them a thank you note:
Loki has a ton of ways to place 'free' ads (ain't PR fun?), but they
chose to donate money to Debian.)

> But I have not seen any ads except the few that have lately appeared.

They're just spam.

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting