Re: Can't mount cd when using SCSI emulation

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 11:51:16PM +0300, Esko Lehtonen wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have internal HP 7200 atapi cd-rw drive in my debian 2.2 machine. I am
> using self compiled 2.2.14 kernel from debian kernel package. I want to
> write cds with my drive, so I removed IDE/ATAPI cd support from kernel,
> and compiled
> scsi emulation instead. Now I can write cds, but I can't mount any. If I
> try:
> 'mount /dev/hdc /cdrom' I get:
>
> /dev/cdrom: Input/output error
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> Using 'mount /dev/hdc -t iso9660 /cdrom' gives me:
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdc,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> Using 'mount /dev/scd0 -t iso9660 /cdrom' gives me:
> mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/scd0 as a block device
>        (maybe `insmod driver'?)

 ... snipp ...

Hello,

make sure the modules for ide-scsi emulation are loaded before mounting
the cd.

One way to load the modules is manually by using the command

   modprobe ide-scsi

To automate the loading of the modules put the following lines in a
file, e.g. idescsi.mod, in the directory /etc/modutils/ :

# from the CD-Writing-HOWTO

alias scd0 sr_mod                    # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
pre-install sg     modprobe ide-scsi # before sg, load ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # before sr_mod, load ide-scsi

and run update-modules. This will put these lines in the config
file /etc/modules.conf for the kernel module loader.

Sadly there is one point I don't know: how to tell kmod to use the
new configuration file. Of course a reboot will do the job (but
that's like working with a crappy Windows machine :-( - I'm sure
there is a better way to do this under Linux - because everything
works better with Linux :-)

Bye
Andreas