Re: dhcpcd segfault

> 		Hey guys. So after getting Rogers to hook me up, I tried two modules
> to try to talk to my Soho PCI NIC. The ne2k module didn't work, saying,
> "device or resource busy". The tulip driver silently installed, and on the
> next reboot I was greeted with this:
>
> tulip.c:v0.89H 5/23/98 becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
> eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC at 0xe400, 00 80 c6 f1 68 fa, IRQ 10.
> eth0:  EEPROM default media type 10baseT.
>
> So it looks like it's being found. So, being the good debian user that
> I am, I go off and do an apt-get install dhcpcd. It installs, and the
> install script asks me what interface to use. I tell it eth0, and it
> promptly segfaults.

Yes, the card was correctly detected.

> Now, I have to boot into single user mode, because otherwise the boot
> process stops after segfaulting dhcpcd, doing a little more, and then
> hangs on trying to bring up sendmail. The segfault looks like:

Sendmail 'hangs' because it's trying to access the network (which it
can't) to do a lookup on it's IP #.  If you wait a minute or so everything
should continue booting.

> Unable to handle kernel NULL point dereference at virtual address 00000000
> +current->tss.cr3 = 03d63000, %cr3 = 03d63000

That's not a segmentation fault - that's a kernel oops (the Linux
equivalent to a Windows Blue Screen of Death).

What's the output of the command 'uname -a'?

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstien