Re: Potato and Helix-Gnome

On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 08:45:05AM -0500, Robert Maynord wrote:
> Dear debian-user List Friends:
>
> I have been following the Potato and Helix-Gnome discussions, and decided
> to try the setup.  I downloaded last weeks version of Potato, and it works
> fine.  I purchased the Helix-Gnome disk, and it works - at least with Red
> Hat.  I have unsuccessfully tried the Potato-Helix combination on two
> completely different computers, so the problem must be mine.  I begin with
> the the Potato installation, and when it gets to the apt-get section, I
> include the Helix-Gnome CD.  Potato sees the Helix-Gnome CD fine, and I
> select the three Helix-Gnome boxes in the apt-get "simple" selection area.
> I then continue the installation, and all works fine until apt-get begins
> the actual installation of the packages.  Then the messages (describing
> which packages are to be installed) appear at different starting points on
> the screen. The last message is: "Do you want to continue? [Y/n]"  At this
> point the computer freezes and will not respond to a typed Y (enter) or any
> other keyboard action.
>
> My hope is to use the Debian/Helix-Gnome combination on computers at an
> elementary school.  Any help on this problem would be very much appreciated!!!
>
> p.s. I have also tried installing Helix-Gnome after completing a
> Potato-only installation.  Potato installs fine.  But when I begin the
> Helix-Gnome part, directly from the CD as per Helix-Gnome instructions, the
> same screen freezing occurs.

Sounds very odd.
I don't know the CD-edition, so it might be there the problem is.
I know this is probably a redundant question, but are there *.deb's on
the CD('s)?

Can your drive read other CD's?

I've had some problems once with a CD-drive that was defective, it
sometimes hung the 'puter, but that was Windows I think ...

I use dselect/apt for all things Debian, and I have had no problems[1]
with the line:

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

in my /etc/apt/sources.list.

HTH.
Regards
		Morten

[1] Except for some dependencies that Potato couldn't fulfill, easily
    fixed with an upgrade of the relevant packages to Woody.

--
Morten Liebach <morten@hotpost.dk> ; http://home1.stofanet.dk/liebach
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided