Re: Desperately looking for help with a PCMCIA SCSI card!

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, Juan C. Amengual wrote:
> Dear sirs,
>
> first of all, beg your pardon for the dramatical subject of this e-mail
> ;-), but I'm really desperated. My problem:
>
> I have an ASUS F7400 Laptop (a.k.a. ASUS Grandio Laptop). I have
> installed Debian 2.2 (a.k.a. Potato). I have a PCMCIA SCSI Card: Adaptec
> SlimSCSI 1480A Cardbus (Adaptec APA-1480 SCSI Host Adapter). I am still
> trying to make it work under Potato. When I insert the card in any
> socket, I always receive the following message:
>
> aic7xxx: <Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI controller> at PCI 35/0/0
> aic7xxx: I/O ports already in use, ignoring.
> scsi : 0 hosts.
>
> I can't imagine why the I/O ports are already in use. Well, let's tell
> the whole story.

Ummm, I have had similar problems with the deb pcmcia - except its not
pcmcia, its setserial. If you are not using the non pcmcia ports for any
thing strange try just removing S30setserial link from /etc/rcS.d: if
there is nothing going on then there is no need to run setserial - as is
the case in many of the rpm systems. If setserial runs at boot it seems to
make cardservices think the port is busy... I don't know why, but just
turning setserial off works for me :-\.

regards,
erik