Re: Desperately looking for help with a PCMCIA SCSI card!

erik wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, Juan C. Amengual wrote:
>
> > I have an ASUS F7400 Laptop (a.k.a. ASUS Grandio Laptop). I have
> > installed Debian 2.2 (a.k.a. Potato). I have a PCMCIA SCSI Card: Adaptec
> > SlimSCSI 1480A Cardbus (Adaptec APA-1480 SCSI Host Adapter). I am still
> > trying to make it work under Potato. When I insert the card in any
> > socket, I always receive the following message:
> >
> > aic7xxx: <Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI controller> at PCI 35/0/0
> > aic7xxx: I/O ports already in use, ignoring.
> > scsi : 0 hosts.
> >
> > I can't imagine why the I/O ports are already in use. Well, let's tell
> > the whole story.
>
> Ummm, I have had similar problems with the deb pcmcia - except its not
> pcmcia, its setserial. If you are not using the non pcmcia ports for any
> thing strange try just removing S30setserial link from /etc/rcS.d: if
> there is nothing going on then there is no need to run setserial - as is
> the case in many of the rpm systems. If setserial runs at boot it seems to
> make cardservices think the port is busy... I don't know why, but just
> turning setserial off works for me :-\.

Sorry, it din't work for me 8''^((( I have purged setserial, reboot the system and
... same error messages. I have not compiled the kernel yet, just trying with the
original potato deb packages for kernel 2.2.17 and pcmcia modules for 2.2.17. Now, it
is trying to use i/o port range 200-2ff instead of 1000-10ff. But module apa1480_cb
keeps considering them already in use ... despite /proc/ioports says they are free
... I am completely desperated. I *have* to make this card work ... and I don't know
what else I can do. Is this a bug? Maybe consult to the developers list? ... Well, I
think I'm gonna send a bug report. Thank you very much for your help. Any idea or
contribution to solve my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

JUAN CARLOS AMENGUAL            Daddy says "Don't tell Mama what I did to you"
UNIVERSIDAD JAUME I                     Daddy says "If you do I'll beat you
DEPARTAMENTO DE INFORMÁTICA                             black-and-blue"
CAMPUS DE RIU SEC, EDIFICIO TI  Amelia, "You make Daddy feel like a man"
CASTELLON, 12071. SPAIN.        Amelia, "Daddy loves you more than Mummy can"
Phone: +34 964 728361                   "Daddy, tell me, Daddy,
Fax: +34 964 728435                             how can you call this love?"
e-mail: jcamen@inf.uji.es               Amelia, Damn your Daddy to hell!
                                                Wayne Hussey (The Mission)
                                - "Amelia", Carved in Sand, 1990, Phonogram -