Re: Segmentation fault

Johann Spies wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:12:00AM -0700, Eric G . Miller wrote:
>
> > Debian 2.1 doesn't use glibc 2.1.2.  Think it uses 2.0.7 and there are
> > some incompatibilities.  You'll either need to recompile the program for
> > Debian 2.1 systems, or upgrade them to potato.  Probably easier to
> > recompile if you have the source.  But, then again, the sources might
> > require glibc2.1.
>
> I think this is the reason why I constantly get a segmentation fault
> when trying to run Wordperfect 8 on Potato.  Is there a way to run
> programs that needs glibc 2.0.7 on Potato like the "oldlibs" on slink?

glibc 2.1.x is supposed to be binary compatible with executables that
have been compiled with glibc 2.0.7. There are exceptions though - Star
Office was a good example at the time that RedHat released their first
glibc 2.1.x based distro (6.0). My recollection is that the version of
Star Office at the time exploited a 'feature' (bug) of glibc 2.0.7,
which was fixed in glibc 2.1 (hence it broke).

Most stuff works okay though. I upgraded a RH5.2 box (glibc 2.0.7) to
use glibc 2.1.3 just by installing the glibc rpm from RH6.2 over the
top. The automounter was the only thing I noticed that broke (and I
fixed that pretty easily). I didn't have to recompile or reinstall any
other packages - the ones compiled with glibc 2.0.7 just work.

Wordperfect might one of the programs that can't handle glibc 2.0.7
thought. I would think that Corel would have made an updated version
available if that was the case.

Matthew