Re: !ae as default text-editor on base-install

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 09:41:35PM -0700, S. Champ wrote:
> hello.
>

> i remember seeing the statement that `ae' was chosen as the default text-editor,
> for the basic debian install, because of its lightweight-ness.
>

> i'd like to suggest a switch to `zile'.
>
> http://www.debian.org/Packages/frozen/editors/zile.html
>

> and if this won't be acceptable, i'd like to know why
>
> ( and not rudely meaning that, just honestly. i'm curious about how it might
> compare. `zile' seems lightweight enough, and is nicely close to the emacsen
> interface, and seems better than ae.  i need to hear the other side to it,
> though; the issues i'm not yet aware of about it. )
>

> thank you.
>

>  -- s.c.

I wasn't there when they decided, but I think ae has a help line(s)
along the top.  This allows anyone to be able to use ae without
having had experience with it.  It also sidesteps a vi/emacs war as
AFAIK the ae keybindings are unique to ae.

I don't know anything about zile but those are some ideas.

--
Pat Mahoney  <pat7@gmx.net>

For children with short attention spans: boomerangs that don't come back.