Compaq ProLiant ML350

Last Friday I asked this question to little avail. I don't mean to be
redundant, but in the fear that it was deleted in the barrage of weekend
mail by the one person who knows the answer, I'm posting this again.

I have a new Compaq ProLiant ML350 server. It has a Compaq Smart Array 431
Raid Controller. It also has a NC3123 Fast Ethernet NIC PCI 10/100 Wake on
LAN card.

Is there any hope for installing Debian on this? The default 2.1 install
disks hang while trying to reset the SCSI. The TECRA boot disks detect no
drive at all.

I have installed Debian several times, but always on fairly standard
hardware. I think I will be able to follow instructions to do this if it is
possible.

Specifically, I have heard people say things like: You need to compile
support for Compaq Smart Array controllers into your kernel. I am always
perplexed by this. How do I compile a kernel if I don't have Debian
installed yet? Do I compile the kernel on another Debian machine? If I do
so, how do I get that kernel onto the install disks and ready to install?

Thanks.

A. Scott White
Director of Information Systems and Product Strategy
ACS Healthcare Solutions Group