RE: sawmill is a herring bone screen

It is working. Sawmill does not supply a root window background or anything
like that. It just gets on with the job of managing windows. For background
management use GNOME or KDE. Alteratively use xv --root (I think) or
Esetroot (comes with Enlightenment).

There are many other alternatives as well, none of which I can think of
right now...)

It you want your WM do this for you without using any of this external
stuff, you'll have to stick with WindowMaker, Enlightenment et al.

>From the Sawmill FAQ :
"3. I installed Sawfish but it's not working!  All I see when I start
     X is the default stipple background: no programs, no menus, no
     pager.

     This is exactly what it's supposed to do. Sawfish is a _window
     manager_ and as such is not responsible for setting the background,
     starting programs or displaying a pager--these can all be done
     using separate applications (e.g. by using a desktop environment
     such as GNOME).

     The default menu binding is somewhat obscure; you must
     middle-click on the background to bring up the menus. (If you have
     a two-button mouse, try clicking both buttons simultaneously)

     If, after reading this, you still think that sawfish isn't working,
     please send mail describing the problem to the sawfish mailing list
     <sawmill@aarg.net>"