Re: problem reading vim online dox

Hi all.

Back on Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:47:31 -0700 (PDT) Aaron Maxwell
<amaxwell@phy.ucsf.edu> wrote:

>In vim, if I type
>  :help
>I get
>  Sorry, help file "/usr/share/vim/vim56/doc/help.txt" not found
>  Press RETURN or enter command to continue
>I get this _exact_ same error message if i type any other help command, eg
>  :help uganda
>
>The help files are in the vim-rt package, /usr/share/vim/vim56/doc/*.txt.gz
>(I'm running potato, vim-rt version 5.6.070-1, vim version 5.6.070-1)"

I replied to this message thinking that setting the $VIMRUNTIME variable
was needed to fix the problem, however, this advice has turned out to be
in error.  I ran into the same problem this evening on both of my Potato
based boxen.  It turns out I had created ~/.vimrc back in the Slink days
back in December 1999.  It was this file that wound up being the culprit.
After copying the /etc/vimrc installed by the vim-5.6.070-1 package and
edited for my preferences, I'm happy to say that vim works flawlessly
and I have now gotten rid of the $VIMRUNTIME variable.

If you've upgraded from Slink, I advise updating your ~/.vimrc file after
the upgrade if you experience errors similar to Aaron's shown above.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "None can love freedom
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | heartily, but good