Problems with terminal

Hi!

I'm having some problems with the terminal in some softwares. The problems
are:

* The backspace doesn't work in some programs like micq and pydb (python
debugger). Others like pine and the xterm/rxvt/etc... works well. The
problem is that the former prints ^H and I have to use DEL instead.

* I live in Brazil and I need accented characters. The accents work in all
programs I tried but mutt. In mutt accents are replaced by a '?' char This
happens in the viewer (pager). To write mails I use vi and the accents
work well there too.

How can I fix this problems?

Thanks!

-- Marcio

 * MARCIO ROSA DA SILVA                    e-mail: marcio@exatas.unisinos.br
 * Assistant Professor                             mrsva@iname.com
 * Electrical Engineering Department
 * Universidade do Vale do Rio dos Sinos - UNISINOS
 * Av. Unisinos, 950
 * Sao Leopoldo - RS - Brazil
 * Phone: +55 51 590-3333 R:1781/1782
 *   FAX: +55 51 590-8172