Re: Viper V550

"Ton Sonnemans" <Ton-Sonnemans@benik.nl> writes:
> Yes, this could work but I'm also still not able to download with my modem
> in Linux, so I stil download averything via my ISDN-card with Windows. So
> upgrading via Linux and Internet is not an option.
> anyone else?

Of course you can always download the *.deb files and install them
manually with "dpkg -i". Just shooting in the dark I'd start at:

http://www.debian.org/~vincent/dists/xfree-update/main/binary-i386/

If you can afford the space download all the files, reboot to Linux,
and start installing them with dpkg. If I needed to save some space
I'd avoid downloading all the xserver-*.deb files and just pick up the
xserver-<svga,vga16>*.deb and skip the others. The TNT uses the SVGA
server and just about any card can use the vga16 server.

Of course you can try and be even more selective about the download
but you may end up booting back to Windows a few times for
dependencies that you missed. One fellow you can definately avoid is
xbooks*.deb it's rather large and I know for a fact nothing in the
base X depends on it.

I don't think you're going to get X going with the stock X
distribution that ships with slink, unless you want to use the vga16
server (640x480 with 16 colors, not pretty).

Gary