Re: Viper V550

jpb <jpb@creol.ucf.edu> writes:
> Ton Sonnemans wrote:
> >
> > Yes, so far so good but when I start XF86Setup I don't see my Card listed.
> > Is it dependend on other files or what??
> > Please help me, I'm a beginner and want to get it running but I don't seem
> > to get my Viper 550 Card up and running, maybe someone with the same card
> > can mail me what package I need to get my Card listed in XF86Setup.
>
> This may or may not help, but when I was running slink and trying to get
> my Viper 770 working, I needed a newer X than ships in slink.  Add this
> line to your /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent xfree-update main
>
> As root, do
> 1) apt-get update
> 2) apt-get upgrade
>
> Presuming that the 550 is supported by the version of X in vincent's
> source, you should be able to run XF86Setup and have the new SVGA server
> find your card.

This might work. I too remember that in slink the Riva TNT (which is
what the 550 is) was not supported. Make sure after the steps above,
if you can't find the Viper 550, to look for a Riva TNT. I have a
Creative TNT so they're essentially the same card and I have no
trouble running X in potato (X 3.3.6).

Gary