Surprising behaviour of dselect.

I wanted to install g77 and g77-doc on my system. As I got tired of
swaping CD-s I set up apt to use the net instead. What happened was that
after selecting g77 and g77-doc and choosing install in dselect it
started not only installing g77, but upgrading 17 other packages. Among
the different packages was samba which shouldn't have anything to do
with g77.

Why does dselect automatically upgrade ?

--
Preben Randhol -- [randhol@pvv.org] -- <http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/>
+---+ "It is assumed that the reader is reasonably  familiar with the
|:-?|  dpkg System Administrators' manual. Unfortunately  this manual
+---+  does not yet exist."                -- Debian Packaging Manual