Re: safe to use woody packages in potato?

Ian Zimmerman <itz@speakeasy.org> writes:

> John> If so, I still need to know the answer to my previous question:
> John> Will system files, like /etc/{fstab,profile}, be overwritten,
> John> possibly irrevocably, by the upgrade process? The documentation
> John> on the site is nonexistant.
>
> Files that can be manually edited per debian policy will not be
> replaced without warning, I believe.  But I haven't done this myself,
> yet, so you want a 2nd opinion.

Upgrading will not overwrite modified files in /etc unless you say so.
The original configuration files will be silently replaced or removed
if no longer needed.

This barring any goofs by the maintainer, of course.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development