Re: safe to use woody packages in potato?

And for another thing, I looked at ftp.debian.org and the
disks-i386 directory for woody is empty. What then is the upgrade
process? Using the "dist-upgrade" method of "apt-get"? If so, I still
need to know the answer to my previous question: Will system files,
like /etc/{fstab,profile}, be overwritten, possibly irrevocably, by
the upgrade process? The documentation on the site is nonexistant.