Re: resize - delete partitions ??

If /usr and /usr/local are right next to each other, you should be able
to delete both of those, and then recreate a single partition using the
same cylinders that were used for two partitions before.

I have not tried this though.... Back up your system thoroughly before
you do this.

Recently IBM announced that they were releasing code for volume
management. On the AIX servers here at work the admins can dynamically
change the size of partitions as the server is running, shifting unused
space around between partitions at will. It's a nice setup, and once
this is integrated into Linux possibly in the future would make your
problem much easier to solve.

Another option that you might have already considered is that you can
create links from the /usr directory to directories that physically
exist on the /usr/local partition. Slightly messy, but it will work.

--- Goeman Stefan <Stefan.Goeman@siemens.atea.be> wrote:
> I would like to change my partition table so that the partition
> /usr/local
> is removed and this disk space is added
> to the partition /usr.

=====
Patrick Draper                | Don't  |pdrap@yahoo.com
Austin, Texas                 | Fear   |Father Order runs at a
http://pdrap.home.texas.net   | The    |good pace, but old Mother
Be Microsoft Free - Use Linux |Penguin |Chaos is winning the race.