Re: gpm and X incompatible? (potato)

Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 02:58:21PM +0200, Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> > On Sun, 25 Jun 2000, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> >
> > > Killing gpm (through "gpm -k" and "/etc/init.d/gpm stop") makes the
> > > mouse work in X and fixes the display problems in the framebuffer.
> > > Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?
> >
> > How does your setup in XF86Config in section Pointer look alike?
>

> Hmm, it was my understanding that, yes, gpm and X aren't
> compatible and you _shouldn't_ try to run them together.
>
> That was in slink.  I've since upgraded to potato, and noticed that
> both gpm and X are started in the same runlevel.  However, I also
> have trouble with the X server, and those problems go away
> when I kill off gpm (and remove it from the rc2.d directory).
>
> I've never seen any documentation or announcement saying that gpm
> and X are now compatible...

Whereas I've always run gpm and X together, and never had a problem with
them.  I've done it with slink, potato, and now woody.  In the process I've
gone through a few different mother board / CPU combos.  It would seem that
whatever the problems with gpm and X cooperating are, they are most
certainly not consistent.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
                              |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"
'91 GS500E                    |
Morgantown WV                 |  Only dead fish go with the flow.