Re: resize - delete partitions ??

Patrick Draper <pdrap@yahoo.com> wrote:
>If /usr and /usr/local are right next to each other, you should be able
>to delete both of those, and then recreate a single partition using the
>same cylinders that were used for two partitions before.
>
>I have not tried this though.... Back up your system thoroughly before
>you do this.

It won't work; the filesystems won't be merged by that kind of dodge,
just the partitions.

>Recently IBM announced that they were releasing code for volume
>management. On the AIX servers here at work the admins can dynamically
>change the size of partitions as the server is running, shifting unused
>space around between partitions at will. It's a nice setup, and once
>this is integrated into Linux possibly in the future would make your
>problem much easier to solve.

Try the lvm package, in potato and woody. It contains userspace tools
and kernel patches for this, and the kernel patches are already
integrated into recent 2.3 and 2.4 kernels. I'm in the process of trying
it out at the moment, though I haven't actually committed anything to it
yet.

I believe that, when IBM made that announcement, the Linux kernel people
more or less ignored them as they already had LVM. :) See:

  http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0006.1/1599.html