kernel-image and apt-get -f dist-upgrade

Greetings to the list,
	I know this issue has come up before (I have searched through the
mailing list archives), yet even after trying all of the suggestions in
the archives, I STILL have this recurring problem:  I used make-kpkg to
build my own 2.2.15 kernel (using kernel-source package).  I also used the
alsa-source and pcmcia-source package to build the alsa and pcmcia
modules, using make-kpkg.  Everything works GREAT with this!
	However, the next time I do an apt-get -f dist-upgrade, apt wants
to mess this all up.  I have tried naming my kernel 2.2.15-9,
custom.2.2.15-9, work.9, custom.1, and simply 1.  I thought that naming it
2.2.15-9 would finally take care of this issue, but it hasn't.  Not only
does apt-get want to replace my custom kernel-image, but it also wants to
remove (without any replacement at all) my alsa and pcmcia modules.
	It seems to me that this shouldn't be so difficult.  I must be
missing something.  However, I have yet to find out what to call this
kernel-revision so that apt doesn't mess with it or my modules.  Can
someone PLEASE help me on this.  I am beginning to see this as a major
drawback to make-kpkg.

Thanks,
Bryan Walton