Re: email program for newbie

Hi,

Marshall paul writes:
> _weeks_ to configure X.  OK, I can surf, now, but I want email, too.)

if everything fails, there's always /usr/bin/mail or /usr/bin/mailx.
Console based Mailers include mutt and pine.  Pine is quite straight
forward to use, epecially if you are not accustomed to the vi editor.
Mutt is IMHO more powerful and (for me) easier to use, but it uses vi
as its default editor.  You can of course configure it to use any
editor (set editor=/usr/bin/<some obscure editor you like).

On the X-Front there is a grat variety.  You may take a look at
Netscape's Messenger.  Alternatively you could look at tkrat,  XFMail,
or, or, or ... Fire up dselect and take a look at the mail section.
Personally I use VM, a mailer which runs inside (X)Emacs.  Emacs is
the one editor I use for everything, so it's open all day long, and
with VM I get a consisten handling.
So for the console (or the xterm), my choice would be mutt.
As a matter of fact, I use XEmacs for editing and mailing on
console screen, too.

Cheers -- Stephan
--
Stephan Engelke                                    engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de
*** "Die Frauen haben es ja von Zeit zu Zeit auch nicht leicht. Wir Männer