Re: email program for newbie

Stephan Engelke <engelke@math.uni-hamburg.de> wrote:
>Marshall paul writes:
>> _weeks_ to configure X.  OK, I can surf, now, but I want email, too.)
>
>if everything fails, there's always /usr/bin/mail or /usr/bin/mailx.
>Console based Mailers include mutt and pine.  Pine is quite straight
>forward to use, epecially if you are not accustomed to the vi editor.
>Mutt is IMHO more powerful and (for me) easier to use, but it uses vi
>as its default editor.  You can of course configure it to use any
>editor (set editor=/usr/bin/<some obscure editor you like).

No - it defaults to /usr/bin/editor if you don't have anything set in
the .muttrc editor option or the $EDITOR or $VISUAL environment
variables. This may be vi or emacs or nano or whatever, depending on
what the /etc/alternatives/editor link points to on your system
('update-alternatives --display editor' to view, 'update-alternatives
--config editor' to change, or just change the symlink manually).

I agree that mutt is a good choice of mailer, though, if you want a
text-based one.