Re: Funny format CD's...

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 05:35:55PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Is it possible to mount the 7th track of a CD? The first 6 being audio
> tracks, and the seventh the first and only data track?

> I believe it is possible to write another track to a CD-R device later, as
> long as the disk hasn't been fixated. I was just wondering if it was
> possible to add a data track after adding audio tracks...
>
> Is it otherwise possible to rip a specific track, but not making it an
> audio track? i.e. suppose I write a data track to track 7, I'd like to rip
> it back to the CD image it was... I'd guess cdparanoia won't work, 'cause
> it extracts audio tracks to wave files... the last thing I can think of,
> is dumping the whole CD, and then cutting off the first part and possibly
> the last part, so that you'll only be left with track 7...
>
> Any ideas?

Yes. There is a kernel module called cdfs. Find it on the Web and compile it and
copy it to /lib/modules/<kernel version>/fs.
It's easy to compile. You can do it. Just type make.

Once installed, you can mount a cd with

	mount -t cdfs /dev/<cdrom device> <target>

Take a look in <target> and you will see all tracks of the cd as files. You can
copy them like files.
That's nice for copying cd images.
In addition, you can mount one of these files as a loop filesystem.
Then you have the same effect as mounting conventionelly, but can choose your
track.

Armin