Re: Funny format CD's...

On Fri, Jun 16, 2000 at 05:35:55PM +0200, Hugo van der Merwe wrote:
> Is it possible to mount the 7th track of a CD? The first 6 being audio
> tracks, and the seventh the first and only data track?

No, but there is a way of doing what you actually want (which, believe me,
isn't this).

> I believe it is possible to write another track to a CD-R device later, as
> long as the disk hasn't been fixated. I was just wondering if it was
> possible to add a data track after adding audio tracks...

What you want is a new session.  You'll blow another 13MB opening an extra
session, but as long as you can live with that, you're fine.  A common way
of doing what you want is like this:

[session1: <track1> <track2>][session2: <track3>]

Where track1 and track2 are audio and track3 is data.  Most CD-ROM drives
(1x and 4x don't--but for some reason almost all 2x did) support
multisession CDs.  That is, when you stick a disc like this in them, they
will see the second (data) session (some drives will even let you switch
sessions).  No audio CD player that I know of will even be aware that the
second session exists.  It will just see the first session which is all
audio tracks.

> Is it otherwise possible to rip a specific track, but not making it an
> audio track? i.e. suppose I write a data track to track 7, I'd like to rip
> it back to the CD image it was... I'd guess cdparanoia won't work, 'cause
> it extracts audio tracks to wave files... the last thing I can think of,
> is dumping the whole CD, and then cutting off the first part and possibly
> the last part, so that you'll only be left with track 7...

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=outputfile bs=4096

Keep in mind that (except for the dd line I just gave you) I've never done
this, but I have inspected a good many CDs that have been created this way.

HTH
-Dan

--
"... the most serious problems in the Internet have been caused by
unenvisaged mechanisms triggered by low-probability events; mere human