Re: serial config

"I am alone in a world of weirdos." wrote:

> heya,
>
> i have a serial mouse which i am trying to get to talk to my debian
> system.  thre isn't anything complicated about it, just a mouse on ttyS0.
>
> it used to work with the motherboard i am using, but i moved my system to
> a bigger case, and for various reasons when i did that i reinstalled the
> OS.  since then it has not worked.
>
> its not just the mouse either, i try connecting my Palm III to ttyS1 and
> the palm claims i am trying to talk to a modem.  needless to say the palm
> also used to work with this motherboard, and works on my ol' 486.
>
> my com ports are turned on in the bios, my /dev/ttyS* are all set to
> world rwx (i am not particularly concerned with security at the moment.)
> my serial.conf looks fine, and i am stumped.
>
> i edited the serial.conf in order to get my modem working on ttyS3, which
> it did.  i have commented and commented that bunches of times, and even
> tried reinstalling the setserial package.
>
> when i first moved the motherboard to the new case i had some problems
> with the motherboard shorting out, but i have since insulated and fixed
> that and everything else except the com ports are working now.
>
> it seems like this is something stupid that has continued to slip past me,
> but i cannot figure it out.
> thanks,
> ~mark
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> This email is free email, and may be
> modified and/or distributed under the
> terms of the GNU General Public
> License available at:
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
>
> Copyright (C) 2000 Mark A. Torrey Esq.
> email: torreyma@screech.alfred.edu

You might try physically removing your modem, extra serial port/com port devices,
etc, and then see if the mouse works.

Also, if you have an external modem available (even an old slow one), you might
attach it to a serial port and boot off a DOS floppy and give the command "echo
ATDT[YourCellPhoneNumber] > com[1|2]"; if your cell phone rings, you know that the
physical port is functioning. (You can "echo ATZ > com[1|2]" to hang up the modem.)

I also assume you've used gpmconfig to setup/test your mouse connection? And that
you're testing in console mode rather than in X?

Just some ideas....