serial config

heya,

i have a serial mouse which i am trying to get to talk to my debian
system.  thre isn't anything complicated about it, just a mouse on ttyS0.

it used to work with the motherboard i am using, but i moved my system to
a bigger case, and for various reasons when i did that i reinstalled the
OS.  since then it has not worked.

its not just the mouse either, i try connecting my Palm III to ttyS1 and
the palm claims i am trying to talk to a modem.  needless to say the palm
also used to work with this motherboard, and works on my ol' 486.

my com ports are turned on in the bios, my /dev/ttyS* are all set to
world rwx (i am not particularly concerned with security at the moment.)
my serial.conf looks fine, and i am stumped.

i edited the serial.conf in order to get my modem working on ttyS3, which
it did.  i have commented and commented that bunches of times, and even
tried reinstalling the setserial package.

when i first moved the motherboard to the new case i had some problems
with the motherboard shorting out, but i have since insulated and fixed
that and everything else except the com ports are working now.

it seems like this is something stupid that has continued to slip past me,
but i cannot figure it out.
thanks,
~mark

This email is free email, and may be