Re: serial config

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Kent West wrote:

> "I am alone in a world of weirdos." wrote:
>
> > heya,
> >
> > i have a serial mouse which i am trying to get to talk to my debian
> > system.  thre isn't anything complicated about it, just a mouse on ttyS0.
> >
> > it used to work with the motherboard i am using, but i moved my system to
> > a bigger case, and for various reasons when i did that i reinstalled the
> > OS.  since then it has not worked.
> >
> > its not just the mouse either, i try connecting my Palm III to ttyS1 and
> > the palm claims i am trying to talk to a modem.  needless to say the palm
> > also used to work with this motherboard, and works on my ol' 486.
> >
> > my com ports are turned on in the bios, my /dev/ttyS* are all set to
> > world rwx (i am not particularly concerned with security at the moment.)
> > my serial.conf looks fine, and i am stumped.
> >
> > i edited the serial.conf in order to get my modem working on ttyS3, which
> > it did.  i have commented and commented that bunches of times, and even
> > tried reinstalling the setserial package.
> >
> > when i first moved the motherboard to the new case i had some problems
> > with the motherboard shorting out, but i have since insulated and fixed
> > that and everything else except the com ports are working now.
> >
> > it seems like this is something stupid that has continued to slip past me,
> > but i cannot figure it out.
> > thanks,
> > ~mark
> >
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > This email is free email, and may be
> > modified and/or distributed under the
> > terms of the GNU General Public
> > License available at:
> > http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html
> >
> > Copyright (C) 2000 Mark A. Torrey Esq.
> > email: torreyma@screech.alfred.edu
> > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>
> You might try physically removing your modem, extra serial port/com port devices,
> etc, and then see if the mouse works.
>
> Also, if you have an external modem available (even an old slow one), you might
> attach it to a serial port and boot off a DOS floppy and give the command "echo
> ATDT[YourCellPhoneNumber] > com[1|2]"; if your cell phone rings, you know that the
> physical port is functioning. (You can "echo ATZ > com[1|2]" to hang up the modem.)
>
> I also assume you've used gpmconfig to setup/test your mouse connection? And that
> you're testing in console mode rather than in X?
>
> Just some ideas....

yeah i pulled all the cards out except my video card (i actually don't
even need my modem at the moment) and set serial.conf back to just two
serial ports, and neither of my serial ports worked.

Yup, using gpmconfig in console mode (i only just set up X (without a
mouse) today.)  i'll see if i can track down an old external modem.

i am starting to think maybe i toasted my serial ports when i shorted out
my motherboard.  though, that seems unlikely in my expierence.
thanks for the suggestions.  any other ideas?
~mark