Re: please help test debian frozen

Joey Hess wrote:
> So I'm writing to encourage people to upgrade to frozen, and if you can,
> do new installs with frozen. Every report we receive of another clean
> upgrade/install makes us that much more likely to release soon. So if
> you upgrade or install frozen, post a report to the mailing list
> <debian-testing@lists.debian.org>. Describe how you upgraded or installed.
> If everything went perfectly, say so; If there were some problems, do your
> best to describe them, and any relevant information about your system.

I've got a dozen machines of various sizes, all running Potato.
All except one were previously Slink machines, and were upgraded
using apt-get dist-upgrade with nothing significant going wrong.

Several machines were actually Potato new-installs, but I couldn't
be bothered to make up new boot floppies so I brought the machine
up as slink until the base was running, then modified sources.list
and kept on going with the installation so it quietly migrated over.
No problem; in fact it was hard to tell the difference.

There is one machine in Slink, which I'd been too lazy to do earlier,
being switched over this weekend.  It is complaining that paperconfig
is segfaulting.  Don't know why, but I'm not worrying about it for now.

I only have one machine that was a potato install from scratch by CDROM.
That's the one that I still haven't managed to get the network running
and I wrote the plea for help to this list a couple of days ago.
The CDROM version is from 5/15/, with updates for the .deb files.

One of the benefits of running potato is that (for example) you can
run accelerated 3D graphics games using standard .deb packages and
avoid lots and lots of custom system reconfiguration effort.
One of my machines only has four non-internet-downloaded packages ...
one recompiled kernel and the three for GLX.  Runs Quake, FGFS, etc.

PS

I recommend that people familiar with slink, as the first thing they do,
take the new version of the default ae keymappings and ensure that
^X^W and ^X^S do the same thing.  It avoids irritation and confusion.