Re: please help test debian frozen

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> > At the moment the gpm/X11 problem with PS/2 /dev/psaux mice and an
> > unreliable ppp dialout come to mind.
>
> Hi Kerstin.
>
> I managed to solve the gpm/X11 problem by discovering that the gpm
> install defaults the repeat mode to ms3button emulation (if I recall
> correctly).  Setting the repeat to null in the config file allowed
> X to work with /dev/mouse on an IBM TP760ED laptop with the /dev/psaux
> ps2 mouse.

I did an apt-get upgrade yesterday. Since I had the old gpm of slink in
use (to overcome the problem), it updated as well gpm. X11 was
running at that time. As soon as gpm was set up, the mouse started
jumping around uncontrollably, sometimes opening menus. I fiddled around
to have it end up in one of the open xterms to kill gpm.
In /etc/gpm.conf it says:

device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=ms3
type=ps2
append="-l -R \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

In the gpm info pages it says that ms3 is

     A decoder for the new serial IntelliMouse devices, the ones with
     three buttons and a protocol incompatible with older ones.

So it is set to 3 buttons, although I have no idea, whether the Logitech
mouse belongs to the IntelliMouse devices.

Since I have got an analysis running at the moment, which will take some
days, I do not want to fiddle around with this right now. If I am forced
to shut down the XServer, my analysis results will presumably be gone
too.

> Regarding ppp dialout, are you refering to pcmcia?  If so, pcmcia 3.1.8
> discovered a serial driver bug in the kernel code.  Later versions should
> fix it.  I'm running pcmcia 3.1.14 from Woody here (compiled locally).

It is not PCMCIA. It is an Elsa MicroLink ISDN/Tl pro connected to
ttyS0. I have read in the bug reports, that ppp sometimes makes
superfluous negociations, so that the connection is cut of by the
provider.

It looks like this:
After booting up the compi, the first dial attempt hangs (presumably
during initialisation stage). No dialling takes place.
The second attempt usually ends up with an established link, but the
ISDN-TA keeps on negociating with the provider until the connection is
cut of.
The third attempt in most cases (but not always!) works out.

When I try to dial out later, it starts again with item 2: Negociations,
then a second dial attempt usually works.

I changed the dialling command manually from atdt to atd, so this should
not be the problem. The typical ISDN settings, which have to be done in
addition to the normal modem-like stuff are stored in the first profile
of the ISDN-TA.

Under RedHat, ppp worked properly. So I think, there is some weird
setting or bug going on.

Regards,

Kerstin

--