Re: VMWare, Samba, and Slink

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Lee Revell wrote:

> With VMWare 2.0 on my box (Celeron 300A @ 450mhz, 320MB RAM, Quantum 10K
> RPM LVD SCSI drive on an AHA2940U2W, TNT2 Ultra w/ 32MB video ram),
> Win98 SE is sluggish but usable, like on a P233.  The thing that really
> kills usability for me is that the mouse is slow to respond - there is a
> noticeable latency between moving the thing and seeing the pointer
> move.  I couldn't come up with a way to fix this.  Word, IE, etc. seem
> to take only a little longer to load that in native Win98, but that damn
> latency keeps reminding you that it's not native Windows.  If they can
> fix it with the mouse it would be tolerable for most other things.  It's
> like going back to dialup after getting used to DSL - a hassle but you
> can get things done if need be.  But it beats the hell out of having to
> reboot to use Word.

Hmm, I haven't had any problems with the mouse.  You have installed the
VMWare Tools in Win98 right?  You might also want to make sure you have
the latest version of VMware.  I noticed a huge mouse latency problem in
the earlier versions, but none in the current version.

--
-bob

Remember the... the... uhh.....
* Robert Kerr, The morphing guy.  *    MS 0847 Sandia National Labs  *
* rakerr@sandia.gov               *    Albuquerque NM 87185-0847     *
* Robert_Kerr@byu.edu             *      Phone: (505) 844-8606       *
* http://www.et.byu.edu/~kerrr    *      Fax: (505) 844-9297         *