smb.conf issues (was Re: Samba and VMWare)

"Kelly Corbin" <kcorbin@theiqgroup.com> wrote:

> The external network is eth0.  As an aside, there is no eth0 device in
> /dev.  I see that eth0 is assigned on boot up to the network card I
> have, but there is no device in /dev.  Is this normal?  I can't recall
> if this how it should be.

That's how it looks on my debian box. My VMware is running on RedHat though,
so there may be minor differences. In any case, your networking appears to
be working (other LAN PC's can see the host) right? If so, you're OK there.

> How do I make sure eth0 is the "briged" interface to the LAN?  I have
> included the output to ifconfig, netstat -r, smb.conf, and dmesg.

Go into the configuration editor for the virtual machine and check the
settings for the Ethernet interfaces. If there's only one, it should be set
to bridged. If it is, there's nothing more to do. If it's set to "host
only", just change it.

> funkmotor:/dev# ifconfig
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:50:DA:19:62:6E
>           inet addr:208.46.58.171  Bcast:208.46.58.255
> Mask:255.255.255.0
>           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:55816 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1
>           TX packets:41122 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:269 txqueuelen:100
>           Interrupt:11 Base address:0x1080
>
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>           RX packets:747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:747 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

OK, so eth0 at 208.46.58.171/255.255.255.0 is the interface that connects to
your LAN PCs...

> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
> Iface
> localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
eth0
> default         border1.theiqgr 0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0
eth0

It looks like your networking is all OK. A handful of questions:

1. Have you verified that you can ping from PCs on your LAN to your Linux
server? Are basic network services OK between the eth0 LAN and physical
machines (i.e. ping, telnet from desktop to server)? An obvious question,
but I want to make sure we're on track here.

2. What IP address did you chose for the guest VM? It should be on the same
subnet as eth0, but a different IP. Something like 208.46.58.xx where 'xx'
is a *unique* *unused* address on the subnet. Make sure it's an address
you're allowed to use and different from the Linux box itself!

3. Assumine you can ping between physical desktops and the server, can you
ping between physical desktops and the IP issued to the virtual machine
(guest)? If so, it's a browsing issue. Try doing a "Start->Run->\\funkmotor"
or "Start->Run->208.46.58.171" from a physical PC and see if that opens the
server browse list for you. If so, it's DEFINITELY a browsing issue and
networking is working.

> ; /etc/smb.conf
> [...]
> ; Allow several Samba servers on the same machine
> #  interfaces = eth* 208.46.58.171/208.46.58.248/255.255.255.0
> #  bind interfaces only = yes

Mine's set to:

        interfaces =
        bind interfaces only = No

I would think the defaults would be fine, but you might try making this
change at least until everything's working.

>    wins support = yes
>    os level = 20
>    domain master = yes
>    local master = yes
>    preferred master = no
>    name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast

If you can ping between physical PCs and the virtual machine, then it's
likely a browsing issue. It's possible one of the desktops is becoming the
browse master -- or perhaps an NT server? ASSUMING THERE IS NOT AN NT SERVER
that you need in control of things, you might try:

    os level = 33
    preferred master = yes

>    workgroup = iqgroup

Also make sure that the physical desktops, Samba server and virtual PC are
all in the same workgroup.

If none of this works, you might try 'testparm | more' to make sure your
smb.conf is being parsed as you expected. Any "hosts allow" statements and
such can throw a wrench in the works!

Good luck!

- Bob