gpm -A

Has anyone used the "-A" parameter to gpm?  Does it work as expected?

This is in the man page:

       -A [limit]
              Start up with selection pasting disabled.  This  is
              intended  as a security measure; a plausible attack
              on a system seems to be to stuff a nasty shell com­
              mand into the selection buffer (`rm -rf /') includ­
              ing the terminating line break, then all the victim
              has  to  do is click the middle mouse button ..  As
              of version 1.17.2, this has developed into  a  more
              general aging mechanism; the gpm daemon can disable
              (age)  selection  pasting  automatically  after   a
              period  of  inactivity.   To  enable this mode just
              give the optional limit parameter which  is  inter­
              preted as the time in seconds for which a selection
              is considered valid and pastable.

Well I tried adding that feature in my gpm.conf:

device=/dev/ttyS0
responsiveness=
type=ms3
append="-A 60 -l \"a-zA-Z0-9_.:~/\300-\326\330-\366\370-\377\""

and it appears to make no difference whatsoever.  I am able to copy text
from the console, wait for a long time, and still paste it.

Is this broken, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.