Re: The Thrill of Debian Gnu/Linux

Kerstin Hoef-Emden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, John McBride wrote:
>
> > XF86Setup will start working right. Main problem now is that when I log
> > in through gdm/helix gnome, there is no wm started -- just a gray
> > stipple and a single button 2 menu. sawfish is installed and configured,
> > but not launching I guess. Any help is appreciated.
>
> Just a perhaps very stupid question:
>
> When you say, you have a gray stipple on the screen, it does mean, that
> there is no mouse-"X" visible and no menu shows up, when pressing the
> left mouse button?
>
> A naked fvwm shows just a cross patterned black and white background and
> the mouse-"X" when being started.

I reinstalled and documented as many problems as I could reproduce in
another message. This particular problem went away (root and user both
have full sawfish and gnome displays when I log into them from gdm now).

Before the most recent install, I did have a mouse, and a middle button
menu. I could launch some commands, but not things like "gnome run", for
example.

Now I'm going to try and get the thing working from the command line:

1) use "update-rc.d -f gdm remove" to stop gdm. [per Mike Werner]
2) use /sbin/init 0 and /sbin/init 3 to clean up the runlevel
3) now I have the situation as described -- grey stipple, cursor and a
simple button2 menu.
4) try to run xterm, which is on the menu, nothing happens.
5) .xsession-errors has a single line in it: "sh: xterm: command not
found"

You had some other questions, so I will post the answers here:

> Do you have a window manager installed?
$ which sawfish
/usr/bin/sawfish

> What's your /etc/X11/Xsession file look like?
it has 136 lines, so I don't think I'll post it. But it does look for
.xsession early on...

> startx /usr/bin/x-window-manager -- :0
same thing.

> startx sawfish -- :0
same thing.

6) Mike Werner  KA8YSD, proud suzuki owner, suggested :

> ----- begin .xsession -----
> #!/bin/sh
> exec gnome-session
> ----- end .xsession -----

...which fixed everything.

Many thanks, folks -- that's the end of my wish list! Great support on
this list.

Regards,
John