Re: --exclude behavior in tar seems to have changed

> May I ask why the behavior of the --exclude command has changed?  Can
> someone suggest a remedy for my situation?

Yes, --exclude has changed indeed (between slink and potato), see
/usr/share/doc/tar/NEWS.gz:

 version 1.13.6 - Paul Eggert, 1999-08-11.

* An --exclude pattern containing / now excludes a file only if it
matches an
  initial prefix of the file name; a pattern without / continues to
  exclude a file if it matches any file name component.

-Igor Mozetic