Re: --exclude behavior in tar seems to have changed

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 07:25:40AM +0000, Jim Breton wrote:
> > I can't say whether anything has changed at any point; but, I think you
> > want to use something like the following:
> >
> > cd / && tar Sczvf /syjet/debmain.tgz --exclude tmp --exclude proc
> > --exclude syjet
>

> Whoops, I forgot the "."
>
> cd / && tar Sczvf /syjet/debmain.tgz . --exclude tmp --exclude proc
> --exclude syjet
>
> Sorry.

Hi, Jim,

Thanks for the reply. :)

Unfortunately, this isn't as effective as the way I used to do it, as it
doesn't create the empty directories /tmp & /proc in the archive.
Therefore, I would have to manually create those directories after
restoring.  This is compounded by the fact that I actually have several
such directories where I want the directory saved just not what's in it:
/win, /extra, /zip, /doma, and /angedon.  Some are local filesystems and
some are NFS.  I didn't include them originally for brevity's sake.

What I'd really like is to be able to just execute the same command that I
used to.  Can I just use an older version of tar?

Matthew Thompson       http://mattyt.net
mattyt@oz.net          http://www.oz.net/~mattyt
--Someday, I'll have a web page.--